[Brussels, 14 June 2012] The Bulgarian Women’s Lobby (BWL) and the European Women’s Lobby (EWL) will in July host an international conference on “Trafficking in women and prostitution: Bulgarian and European perspectives”. The conference will take place on 13 July 2012 in Sofia in the framework of EWL campaign ‘Together for a Europe free from prostitution’.
The event is foreseen as a key opportunity for Bulgarian stakeholders, politicians, professionals and NGOs, to get in-depth knowledge on the issue of trafficking in women and prostitution, both at Bulgarian and European level, and discuss possible ways forward, based on the experience developed in other EU countries.
- Ms Myria Vassiliadou, EU Anti-Trafficking Coordinator
- Ms Diana Kovatcheva, Minister of Justice
- Mr Veselin Vuchkov, Deputy Minister of Interior
- Ms Antoaneta Vassileva, Executive Secretary of Anti-Trafficking Commission
- Ms Pierrette Pape, EWL Policy Officer and Project Coordinator
- Mr Simon Häggström, Inspector at the County Police in Stockholm, Sweden
- Mr Grégoire Théry, Secretary General of Mouvement du Nid, France
- MEPs Nedelcheva, Parvanova and Kalfin (to be confirmed)
The conference will be followed by a press conference and EWL visual action ‘Be a sport. Keep it fair… Say NO to prostitution’ where participants will be invited to show a red card to prostitution at sporting events. This will be accompanied by the screening of EWL video clip ‘Sport, sex and fun’, at 1pm.
The conference takes place in the EP Information Office in Sofia (9 Moskovska Str.), from 9am to 1pm, on Friday 13 July. You can find the full programme here.