[Brussels, July 27 2018] From July 23rd-25th, the European Women’s Lobby (EWL) met with over 20 representatives from civil society and grassroots organisations combatting violence against women and girls in Skopje, FYR Macedonia.
- Participartory meeting of Women s Organisations
Under the EWL collaboration with UN Women under the regional programme, Implementing Norms Changing Minds, the EWL organised a participatory meeting of women’s organisations from the Western Balkans and Turkey. Bringing together activists, lawyers, service providers and experts from across the region to discuss the implementation and monitoring of the Council of Europe Convention on Combatting Violence against Women and Domestic Violence, the Istanbul Convention.
Participants met to review the development of an EWL mapping report that analyses policies on several forms of violence such as intimate partner violence, sexual violence and violence against migrant and refugee women. Participants also discussed and co-developed proposals for key aspects of a Regional Forum due to take place during the 16 days of activism to combat violence against women and girls, from November 25th- December 10th 2018.
Over 1.5 days, attendees discussed policy and societal achievements in working towards the eradication of violence against women since the ratification of the Istanbul Convention. Ongoing challenges were also highlighted and participants developed ideas and possible solutions on how to develop mechanisms of cooperation between relevant stakeholders, including governmental agencies, international organisations and civil society.
The EWL would like to thank all the participants and represented organisations for their enthusiasm and contribution to the development of this project!
You can see the full list of participants and more information on their organisations below.
You can support our work on violence against women and support the Istanbul Convention by signing the Rise Up against Violence petitionand following our work via our website and social media.
• ...Out of circle – Vojvodina
• Association for Struggle Against Sexual Violence
• EcHO – Educational Humanitarian Organization
• Gender Alliance for Development Centre
• HERA - Health Education and Research Association
• Kosovo Women’s Network
• Macedonian European Women’s Lobby
• Medica Kosova
• Medica Zenica
• National Hotline for Victims of Domestic Violence Counseling Line for Men and Boys
• National Network to End Violence Against Women and Domestic Violence
• NGO ‘Zene zenama’
• NGO Atina
• NGO ’Vive žene’
• NGO Women’s Rights
• Purple Roof Women’s Shelter Association
• VATRA Psycho-Social Centre
• Women for Women’s Human Rights – New Ways
• Women’s Rights Centre Podgorica
• Women’s Solidarity Foundation