[Brussels, 4 March 2014] Women and girls are half of Europe’s population, and are entitled to the same rights as men and boys. Achieving substantive equality between women and men, promoting women’s rights and empowering women should be a priority of the European Union (EU) and its Member States. Gender equality is an essential part of democracy, social justice, human rights and dignity. The European Parliament (EP) has the power and responsibility to create meaningful change towards equality for all, now and in the future.
The Manifesto "Act now for her future, commit to gender equality!" comprises the main demands of the European Women’s Lobby, the largest umbrella organisation of women’s associations in the EU. The EWL Manifesto makes three general and five policy-specific demands:
- A comprehensive framework to achieve gender equality
- Sustainable funding for gender equality
- Credible EU policies on gender equality at international level
- Women’s economic independence
- Parity democracy
- A caring society
- A Europe free from violence against women
- Diverse in equality
In the last months, the EWL has delivered several communication tools that support its demands and raise awareness on many aspects of women’s lives and rights in Europe:
- Women’s Watch 2012-2013: a feminist overview of women’s rights and gender equality in Europe!
- EWL video clip “A she-(re) cession” - What does austerity mean for women in Europe?”
- EWL publication The Price of Austerity: The Impact on Women’s Rights and Gender Equality in Europe
- European Women’s Voice ’Women in Decision-Making, Talent at the Top’
- 50/50 Campaign Lobbying Kit
- 2013 EWL Barometer on Rape
- EWL petition 2016 as European Year to End Violence against Women
- EWL video clip on the Brussels’ Call ’Together for a Europe free from prostitution’
- EWL publication 18 myths on prostitution
- EWL European Political Mentoring Network
- EWL European Political Mentoring Network: first webdocumentary online
Download here the EWL Manifesto.