[Brussels, 12 June 2018] From 8-10 June 2018, the European Women’s Lobby held its Annual General Assembly and Board meetings. It was an exciting few days in which we discussed how to progress in the implementation of our vision of a Feminist Europe. We reflected on the activities of the past year and were are once again reminded of the incredible breadth and depth of feminist activism in Europe today, in spite of the challenging backdrop of dramatic political change. We looked ahead to plan our next year’s activities looking to strengthen our ways of working and to improve members’ engagement in our collective efforts for a Feminist Europe.
The volatile political context and increasing polarisation of the political debate in most parts of Europe will continue to create a challenging environment for EWL’s work, but will also present opportunities to advance a feminist agenda. A bold intersectional feminist voice must be at the forefront of the resistance against rising populism and nationalism. We will continue to build strategies to resist the normalisation and spread of anti-feminist populism and the increasing presence of conservative religious values in political spaces.
In this context, we also had elections for our President, Executive Committee and Board of Administration. We said an emotional farewell to our outgoing President Edith Schratzberger-Vecsei, who has served as President for the past 2 years, and previously 4 years on our Executive Committee. She will continue her feminist engagement within the Medical Women’s International Association in Austria.
Elections for a new President and Executive Committee
On 10 June, our Board elected a new President and Executive Committee, comprising of:
- Gwendoline Lefebvre from the Coordination française pour le Lobby Européen des Femmes – CLEF
- Laura Albu from the Romanian Women’s Lobby
- Ana Sofia Fernandes from the Plataforma Portuguesa para os Direitos das Mulheres (PPDM) - Portuguese Platform for Women’s Rights
- Annelies Pierrot-Bults from the University Women Europe (UWE)
- Pirkko Mahlamäki from the European Disability Forum (EDF)
- Pauline Mukanza from the European YWCA
- Anna Zobnina from the European Network of Migrant Women (ENoMW)
Elections for a new Board of Administration
The Board of EWL was elected by the General Assembly on 9 June 2018 for the period 2018 to 2020. You can download the full list of EWL’s Board members and their alternates here.