Are you experienced with designing and editing? Have you already produced policy documents? Do you have a passion for making complex content attractive and digestable? Do you want to contribute to an EU-wide campaign aiming at materialising EWL’s vision for a feminist Europe? If yes, this opportunity is for you!
The European Women’s Lobby (EWL) is the largest umbrella organisation of women’s associations in the European Union, gathering over 2000 women’s associations. The EWL has members in 26 EU Member States and three of the candidate countries as well as 17 large European-wide women’s organisations. The EWL campaigns for a feminist Europe, which promotes women’s rights and equality between women and men in the European Union in line with our organisational strategic framework “Women Changing Europe: Building a Feminist Vision for the Future of Europe Strategy 2022-2026”.
The EWL is looking for an experienced professional to design its 2024 EU elections manifesto and transform it into an eye-catching, easy to read document gathering its key messages and asks in a clear and digestible manner.
As a feminist organisation, we are seeking to build a feminist Europe that represents Europe in all of its diversity. As such, people/women of colour and from ethnic minority groups, people with disabilities, people from the LGBTQI+ community and people coming from marginalised groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Summary of main tasks
The designer will transform the manifesto into a memorable and understandable document and emphasise key information in an engaging way. The manifesto is currently 12 pages but formatting and designing should aim to reduce its length while not compromising legibility.
Once translated and finalised, the manifesto will be used in EWL’s advocacy work at the EU level but also in the campaigns spearheaded by EWL’s national members. Hence, the final document will aim to convince EU elections candidates as well as European and national political forces of the need for a feminist Europe and will present the actions necessary for its materialisation.
The designer will have to provide a first matrix of the design and, based on this matrix, produce versions of the document in different languages as explained below (translations will be provided by the EWL).
We, therefore, expect the designer to:
- Respect EWL’s brand identity while taking a modern twist;
- Develop a design matrix for the manifesto (which should be given to EWL in InDesign format) both for an online and a print version of the document;
- Provide a first designed version of the manifesto in English (both online and print versions);
- Provide versions of the manifesto in all the languages of EWL national coordinations (around 23 languages) - once the translations are available (for online use);
- Edit and format the document as necessary for digital and print productions;
- Take into consideration and include the feedback of EWL through out the length of the collaboration;
- Be available for regular exchanges with the EWL team to define the needs and requirements of the project throughout the collaboration’s duration;
- Be ready to work on this project from the notification of selection (approximately mid May 2023) to end of June 2023.
The full description of tasks, scope of work and deliverables is available here.
Essential skills and attributes
We are looking for a designer that has experience and can demonstrate the following:
- Have 3-5 years of relevant experience;
- Solid experience in developing eye-catchy and clear documents;
- Ability to make content pop in a creative and engaging way;
- Ability to produce campaigning documents that showcase key information in an appealing way and within a deadline;
- Ability to work efficiently and respectfully within a multicultural environment;
- Experienced communicator, including in a digital environment;
- Fluency in English – both oral and written;
- Flexibility and reactivity;
- Strong commitment to intersectional feminism and women’s rights;
- Deep respect for diversity, and demonstrated commitment to the promotion of a diverse and inclusive Europe;
- Have the right to work in the EU.
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to submit an application to the European Women’s Lobby via email to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a:
- copy of their CV (2 pages maximum);
- 2-page proposal for how this work will be carried out, including collaboration with EWL and detailing the timing and the methodology (please specify the details of costs);
- portfolio of their work.
Please include in the e-mail subject line: “Application - External Consultant: Manifesto Designing and Editing - YOUR NAME”.
Closing date for applications is 28 April 2023 at midnight CET.
Applications not respecting the instructions will not be considered.
Interviews of shortlisted candidates will be held the week of 9 May 2023. Interviews through Skype are possible. The ideal candidate should be able to start as soon as possible.
Please find the full Call for Applications here.