Is your company specialised in European languages translation? Is it used to translate policy documents? Do you want to contribute to an EU-wide campaign aiming at materialising EWL’s vision for a feminist Europe? If yes, this opportunity is for you!
The European Women’s Lobby (EWL) is the largest umbrella organisation of women’s associations in the European Union, gathering over 2000 women’s associations. The EWL has members in 26 EU Member States and three of the candidate countries as well as 17 large European-wide women’s organisations. The EWL campaigns for a feminist Europe, which promotes women’s rights and equality between women and men in the European Union in line with our organisational strategic framework “Women Changing Europe: Building a Feminist Vision for the Future of Europe Strategy 2022-2026”.
The EWL is looking for a translation company specialised in European languages that would be able to translate EWL’s EU elections campaign manifesto into the majority of the languages needed (at least a seizable number of them) – see section 2 for the list of languages.
As a feminist organisation, we are seeking to build a feminist Europe that represents Europe in all of its diversity. As such, people/women of colour and from ethnic minority groups, people with disabilities, people from the LGBTQI+ community and people coming from marginalised groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Summary of main tasks
The manifesto will be used in EWL’s advocacy work at the EU level but also in the campaigns spearheaded by EWL’s national members. The document will aim to convince EU elections candidates as well as European and national political forces of the need for a feminist Europe and will present the actions necessary for its materialisation.
The EWL relies on its members across 26 EU Member States to get the manifesto’s messages across, advocate at national level and convince the European political class as broadly as possible. That is why the EWL needs its manifesto to be translated into 23 of the official European languages, including: Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portugese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish.
The manifesto is around 12 pages long.
We, therefore, expect the translators to:
- Pay close attention to the sensitivity of the language used when translating and respect EWL’s key positions in their translations;
- Provide EWL with translations of the manifesto in as many of the 23 languages as possible;
- Take into consideration and include the feedback of EWL through out the length of the collaboration;
- Be available for regular exchanges with the EWL team to define the needs and requirements of the project throughout the collaboration’s duration;
- Be ready to work on this project from the notification of selection (approximately mid May 2023) to mid-June 2023.
The full description of tasks, scope of work and deliverables is available here.
Essential skills and attributes
We are looking for a translating company whose team has experience and can demonstrate the following:
- Have 3-5 years of relevant experience;
- Solid experience in translating policy documents;
- Ability to translate in as many of the 23 languages as possible;
- Ability to translate messages in a digestible and engaging way;
- Ability to work efficiently and respectfully within a multicultural environment;
- Deep understanding of the sensitivity of the terms used and translated in policy documents;
- Ability to respect deadlines;
- Experienced communicator, including in a digital environment;
- Fluency in English – both oral and written;
- Flexibility and reactivity;
- Strong commitment to intersectional feminism and women’s rights;
- Deep respect for diversity, and demonstrated commitment to the promotion of a diverse and inclusive Europe;
- Have the right to work in the EU.
How to apply
Interested translating companies are requested to submit an application to the European Women’s Lobby via email to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a:
- copy of the translators CV (2 pages maximum);
- 2-page proposal for how this work will be carried out, including collaboration with EWL and detailing the timing as well as the languages in which the company can translate the manifesto (please specify the details of costs);
- proof of companies’ portfolio and expertise including examples of past work carried out for clients.
Please include in the e-mail subject line: “Application - External Consultants: Manifesto Translation – NAME OF YOUR COMPANY”.
Closing date for applications is 28 April 2023 at midnight CET.
Applications not respecting the instructions will not be considered.
Interviews of shortlisted candidates will be held the week of 9 May 2023. Interviews through Skype are possible. The ideal candidate should be able to start as soon as possible.
Please find the full Call for Applications here.