[Brussels, 4 February 2020] This year again, the European Women’s Lobby (EWL) will be rising and engaging in the One Billion Rising (OBR) Campaign -7th edition- by developing a social media and artistic action calling for EU action to end violence against women.
One Billion Rising (OBR) is a global mass campaign on ending violence against women. In the framework of OBR 2020, the European Women’s Lobby (EWL) will engage in the campaign by developing a social media and artistic action calling for EU action to end male violence against women. This action will be coordinated and targeted towards key national and EU decision-makers in order to raise awareness and socialise our political demands on disrupting the continuum of violence against women. At the EU level, we will call for the future EU strategy on equality between women and men to commit to concrete actions. The social media campaign will be built collaboratively and on the basis of EWL members’ artistic creations.
One Billion Rising calls to hold artistic uprisings to escalate political consciousness and urge to action. With this in mind, EWL members have been invited to unleash their creativity and artistic talents to develop artistic pieces to show women’s mobilisation across Europe.
The social media campaign will run from now until the third week of February, with a coordinated targeted action on 15 of February. It is precisely on that day that the EWL Board members will be meeting in Brussels when we will held an artistic workshop to mark One Billion Rising.
You can find below a sample of posts to engage in the campaign and hashtags so that you can engage, follow and share our campaign:
- We at @EuropeanWomen are joining our sisters @OBRmv all over the globe to rise up! Join us, raise the vibration by calling for action in the EU to end violence against women and girls. #1BillionRising #WomenforEurope #EUEquality.
- 1 billion women on the planet will be raped or beaten in her life. Join us: take a stand to end violence against women on 14 Feb 2020 and call for concrete EU action. #1BillionRising #WomenforEurope #EUEquality. Sign & share our petition here: https://act.wemove.eu/campaigns/womens-rights
- Male violence against women is a European issue. The most pervasive violation of women’s human rights. It is rooted in the culture of sexism in our societies. EU action is needed to stop this. Sign & share our petition https://act.wemove.eu/campaigns/womens-rights #WomenforEurope #EUEquality #1BillionRising
- We unite as women to say STOP to all injustice. We unite to raise our voices. We unite and rise together for a Europe free from all forms of male violence against women #1BillionRising #LoudandUnited #EUEquality #WomenforEurope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9sm3vHsup0&t=120s
- Europe has a critical role to play in ending all forms of violence against all women & girls. We call for the EU accession to #IstanbulConvention to provide support & justice for all victims across the EU. #1BillionRising #WomenforEurope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9SPmX8S8mg&t=24s
If you want to get more engaged, please do not hesitate to contact us at aderemi [at] womenlobby.org so that we can share with you more materials and resources.
The image in this article belongs to the One Billion Rising action in Prague organised by the Czech Women’s Lobby in 2018. https://www.facebook.com/pg/czlobby/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10155949714400482