[Brussels, 12 September 2012] The European Disability Forum (EDF) and the European Women’s Lobby (EWL) are delighted to see that Ms Ana Peláez Narváez has been elected as member in the Committee of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRDP).
EDF has issued a press release congratulating the new members of the CRDP Committee, amongst them EWL Board Member Ana Peláez Narváez and EDF President Yannis Vardakastanis.
The fifth session of the Conference of States Parties to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (COSP5) is taking place from 12 to 14 September 2012 at the UN Headquarters gathering the attention of the disability movement worldwide. During the Conference, 9 of the 18 positions in the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities have been renewed through an election.
In parallel, meetings and side events are taking place. On 13 September from 3 to 6 pm, there will be a session on women and girls with disabilities. The speakers are the following people:
- John Hendra, Deputy Executive Director of UN Women
- Rachel Kachaje, Deputy Chairperson, Development and Underrepresented Group for Disabled People’s International (DPI)
- Myra Kovary, Coordinator of International Network of Women with Disabilities
- Erzsebet Foldesi, Vice President of European Disability Forum
- Carlos Rios, Member, Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
The EWL hopes that concrete recommendations for the rights of women and girls with disabilities will be delivered during this fifth session of the Conference of States Parties to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. To find out more, consult EDF’s website.