(Brussels, 05 April 2013) Getting bodies to ballot boxes next May 2014 involves persuasion, and the pathways to power are at times particularly long and ardious. For the candidates who will stand for election, it is the culmination of years of work, committment and interest. The European Women’s Lobby is delighted that our campaign to get more women to the steps of Strasbourg and to the heart of European politics and decision making is reaching the launch phase. Next week, in Brussels, the EWL will launch the Political Mentoring Project in the European Parliament. The project will connect participants with experienced political actors to learn from their individual experiences in building confidence and resilience.
The importance of getting women elected is crucial - no modern democracy can call itself such a thing without parity and equal representation. We’ll be providing regular campaigning updates with our group of mentees and mentors. Please do watch this space!
The following MEPs are our Mentors for the 2014 Election.
- EPP: Edit Bauer (Slovakia)
- ALDE: Marian Harkin (Ireland)
- S&D: Zita Gurmai (Hungary), Mojca Kleva (Slovenia), Pervenche Berés (France), Brita Thomsen (DK)
- Greens: Marije Cornelissen (NL), Franziska Brantner (DE), Franziska Keller (DE), Ulrike Lunnacek (Austria)
- GUE: Kartirka Liotard (NL)
The event details can be found on this page.